Fractional Distillation & Hybrid Wiped Film/Fractional Still Systems Packed Column
Standard Fractional Column Packings
A range of packing types for fractional columns is available. The standard distillation column packing offered is Pro-Pak® random packing. Customer specified packings can be used including materials of stainless steel, metal alloys, ceramic and plastics.
Typical Column Packing Equipment Options
- Structured Packing
- Knitted Packing
Non-random packings available include:
- Woven wire mesh, spiral rolled type cylindrical sections.
- “Structured” corrugated sheet or gauze metal cylindrical sections.
- Bubble-cap or sieve tray plates.
As a generality, smaller diameter columns favor small size random packings such as Pro-Pak® for higher efficiency, as opposed to large size random or non-random types due to column wall effects.
Properties, Performance and Specifications of 0.24″ Protruded Pro-Pak® Standard Packing
- Material of construction, 316 stainless steel (monel, other alloys available).
- 372 ft2 per 1 ft3 of packing, allowing high mass transfer rates.
- 96% free space, allowing low pressure drop especially in vacuum distillation.
- Shape: half-cylinder, corners bent.
- Size: 0.24″ diameter x 0.24″ length, 0.003″ sheet thickness, 1,024 protrusion holes per in2.
- Density: 290,000 pieces and 21 lb/ft3, (316 SS).
- Packing factor: 420.
- Flood rate predicated with the following equation:
G=Mass vapor velocity,lb / ft2 • hr
ρ1=Density of liquid phase, lb/ft3
ρg=Density of gas phase, lb/ft3
- Efficiency of the packing increases with increasing vacuum.
Comparative Column Packing using PRO-PAK®
|Column Diameter (inches)||Operating Pressure||Boil Up Rate(L/hr)||Vapor Velocity(ft/sec)||HETP (Plate Height Inches)||Pressure Drop (Inches H20/ft)|
|2||(200 mm Hg)||1.05||0.31||0.79||0.23|
|2||(200 mm Hg)||11.15||3.20||1.33||5.23|
|2||(50 mm Hg)||4.6||4.70||0.92||2.54|